Duplex stainless steel is ferritic-austenitic steels which contain high levels of chromium and nitrogen. These materials make them highly resistant to localized and uniform corrosion. Duplex stainless steel offers excellent resistance against crevice and pitting corrosion. It has adequate strength and weldability. This type of stainless steel has low thermal expansion which makes them the right choice for applications that involves extreme temperature variations.
There are a few essential features of Duplex Stainless Steel such as:
- Strength: Super Duplex Steel S31803 Tubes have almost doubled strength than conventional ferritic or austenitic stainless steels. This excellent strength makes it perfect for manufacturing widely demanded industrial products.
- Ductility: It has significantly better ductility and toughness than ferritic grades; however. Because of its toughness, Duplex Stainless Steel is used in high-pressure applications in many industrial sectors.
- Fabrication and welding: Duplex Steel can be easily welded and is also convenient for the fabrication process. This makes it cheaper than other stainless steel materials.
- Corrosion resistance: Corrosion resistance property depends on the composition of materials. Duplex Steel has molybdenum, chromium, and nitrogen which make it stronger to resist pitting and crevice corrosion.
- Stress corrosion cracking resistance: Duplex stainless steels have better stress corrosion cracking resistance ability which is acquired from the ferritic side. This ability is making it sturdier and more durable.
- Cost: Duplex stainless steels contain lower nickel and molybdenum. Because of cheaper alloying materials, duplex stainless steel is more economical in price. It is widely available in different grades and alloying combinations which makes it convenient to choose for fabrication.
Apart from all these essential features, Duplex Stainless Steel has many standard features such as it has excellent strength and being very difficult to break. Hence it is used in several complicated applications. It has an incredible tensile strength which makes it superior in all types of standard steels. Its elastic limit is twice that of other types of steel like austenitic. Duplex Stainless Steel has high mechanical strength, higher tenacity than that ferritic steel, low thermal expansion, excellent hardness, suitable for heat treatment, superior workability, and perfect weldability than ferritic steel. All these features make Duplex Stainless Steel a more useful and selective material.