Stainless steels are often considered as high alloy steels. Since they have more chromium, they have superior corrosion resistance as relatively to other steels. Stainless Steel is categorized into 3 types, based on their crystalline composition, i.e, Ferritic, Austenitic, and Martensitic, steels. Precipitation-hardened steels is the 4th category consisting of martensitic and ferritic steels.
The Stainless Steel 446 Round Bars is a ferritic, non heat treatment, stainless steel with a resistive element to rust and oxidative stress at high temperatures. This Ferritic stainless steel contains more than 23% chromium. The properties of these bars include, durability, high tensile strength, high ductility, flexibility at high temperatures, high hardness, and weldability. As compared to other ferritic stainless steel grades, 446 has a strong corrosion resistance. Due to its high resistance to thermal scaling and oxidation, SS 446 finds extensive use in applications where temperatures range from 800 to 1150°C. Machining operations on this material can be performed using rigid mounts and sharp tooling surfaces, albeit at slow speeds and with positive feeds.
Types of 446 Bars
Stainless Steel Grade 446 bars come in a variety of shapes and sizes, as do other grades and materials, such as:
- Hex bars
- Square bars
- Rectangular bar
- Flat bars
- Bright bars
- Forged bar
Mechanical Properties of Stainless Steel 446 Bars
|Tensile strengths:||550 MPa||79800 psi|
|Yield strength strains at 0.200%:||345 MPa||50000 psi|
|Elastic modulus:||200 GPA||29000 ksi|
|Elongation at break:||20%||20%|
|Hardness, Brinell determined from Rockwell B:||159||159|
|Hardness, Knop determined from Rockwell B:||173||173|
|Hardness, Rockwell A determined from Rockwell B:||51.1||51.1|
|Hardness, Rockwell B:||83%||83%|
|Hardness, Vickers determined from Rockwell B:||159||159|
Thermal Properties of 446 SS Bars
|Thermal expansion co-efficient 0 to 100 ° C / (32-212°F)||10.4 µm/m° C||5.78 µin/in°F|
|Thermal conductivity||21.6 W/mK||150 (btu) in/ft².°F|
446 Stainless Steel Bars are applicable in the following
- The automobile industry utilizes these stainless steel bars to manufacture bolts, nuts, and shafts.
- Industries employ SS 446 bars for heavy and large-scale engineering purposes.
- Textile industry also use these 446 bars in huge machinery
- 446 Stainless Steel bright bar are used for Electric pumps and motors
- SS 446 bars are seen on a wide scale in railway engines and coaches.
- These round bar are used for making arms and ammunition
- For Manufacturing gears, bearings, and hinges etc
- Stainless Steel 446 Round Bar used to produce Cold related components