Stainless steels are often considered as high alloy steels. Since they have more chromium, they have superior corrosion resistance as relatively to other steels. Stainless Steel is categorized into 3 types, based on their crystalline composition, i.e, Ferritic, Austenitic, and Martensitic, steels. Precipitation-hardened steels is the 4th category consisting of martensitic and ferritic steels.
The Stainless Steel 446 Round Bars is a ferritic, non heat treatment, stainless steel with a resistive element to rust and oxidative stress at high temperatures. This Ferritic stainless steel contains more than 23% chromium. The properties of these bars include, durability, high tensile strength, high ductility, flexibility at high temperatures, high hardness, and weldability. As compared to other ferritic stainless steel grades, 446 has a strong corrosion resistance. As SS 446 is highly resistant to thermal scaling & oxidation, it is extensively used in applications with temperatures ranging from 800 – 1150°C. Machining operations on this material could be done with rigid mounts and sharp tooling surfaces, but only at sluggish speeds and with constructive feeds.
Types of 446 Bars
Stainless Steel Grade 446 bars come in a variety of shapes and sizes, as do other grades and materials, such as:
- Hex bars
- Square bars
- Rectangular bar
- Flat bars
- Bright bars
- Forged bar
Mechanical Properties of 446 Bars
|Tensile strengths:||550 MPa||79800 psi|
|Yield strength strains at 0.200%:||345 MPa||50000 psi|
|Elastic modulus:||200 GPA||29000 ksi|
|Elongation at break:||20%||20%|
|Hardness, Brinell determined from Rockwell B:||159||159|
|Hardness, Knop determined from Rockwell B:||173||173|
|Hardness, Rockwell A determined from Rockwell B:||51.1||51.1|
|Hardness, Rockwell B:||83%||83%|
|Hardness, Vickers determined from Rockwell B:||159||159|
Thermal Properties of 446 Bars
|Thermal expansion co-efficient 0 to 100 ° C / (32-212°F)||10.4 µm/m° C||5.78 µin/in°F|
|Thermal conductivity||21.6 W/mK||150 (btu) in/ft².°F|
446 Stainless Steel Bars are applicable in the following
- These stainless steel bars are used in the automobile industry to manufacture bolts, nuts and shafts.
- 446 bars are used in industries for heavy and huge engineering
- Textile industry also use these 446 bars in huge machinery
- 446 Stainless Steel bright bar are used for Electric pumps and motors
- 446 bars are seen on a wide scale in railway engines and coaches.
- These round bar are used for making arms and ammunition
- Manufacturing gears, bearings, and hinges etc. 446 bars are used
- Stainless Steel 446 Round Bar used to produce Cold related components